Skip to content
Daily maintenance keeps dust, dirt and other soils from building up making terrazzo more difficult to clean in the future. Spills of food, drink and other materials must be cleaned up quickly to maintain safe passage for pedestrians and keep the floor protected from potentially harmful stains. Regular sweeping and light damp mopping is advisable.
Daily cleaning is usually as simple as sweeping or vacuuming then scrubbing the floor using a neutral pH stone & tile cleaner followed by rinsing with clean water. Trend recommends CUSTOM BUILDING PRODUCTS-AQUA MIX Concentrated Stone & Tile Cleaner, STONETECH® Stone & Tile Cleaner or 3M Neutral Cleaner Concentrate using the following tools and method:
Uline Microfiber Mop System H-4506 & Mop Bucket H-4507.
NOTE: Mix all cleaners according to manufacturer directions. If multiple mix ratios are recommended test the most diluted mixture ratio first. Always test cleaners in an inconspicuous area to determine outcome.
1. For damp mopping or spray and wipe cleaning:
a. Vacuum or sweep area to be cleaned.
b. Apply mixed solution with a damp mop or trigger sprayer.
c. Work surface with damp mop or clean towel, rinse with clean water and wipe dry.
d. When damp mopping, change mop water often to ensure that soil is not re-deposited.
2. For hand or floor machine cleaning:
a. Vacuum or sweep area to be cleaned.
b. Apply mixed solution with a mop, sponge or pump type sprayer. Thoroughly wet surface and allow cleaner to soak a few minutes.
c. Agitate surface with mop, medium deck brush, or standard floor swing machine fitted with a soft, white or red floor scrub pad.
d. Rinse using clean water and mop or wet/dry vacuum. Rinsed areas should be towel dried or allowed to air dry if no traffic is anticipated during drying time. Cleaned area must dry completely before allowing foot traffic to resume.
Heavy Duty Cleaning
Heavy duty cleaning is needed periodically to maintain tile/panel surfaces in high traffic areas or after increased traffic, such as, holidays, summer travel or adjacent construction. Please note, existing sealers are sometimes degraded or stripped when heavy-duty cleaning is performed. Resealing with specific products is recommended after heavy-duty cleaning to maintain stain and slip resistant surfaces.
For deep cleaning use CUSTOM BUILDING PRODUCTS AQUA MIX Heavy Duty Cleaner or STONETECH® DEEPKLENZ.
1. Vacuum the floor to remove loose debris that may harm the floor’s surface when a typical floor machine is used.
2. Spray a sufficient amount of cleaner on tile surface to thoroughly wet the soiled traffic area.
3. Allow CUSTOM BUILDING PRODUCTS AQUA MIX Heavy Duty Cleaner or STONETECH DEEPKLENZ to dwell (sit) on the surface for a few minutes, however, do not allow deep cleaners to dry on the surface.
4. During this dwell time, lightly scrub the tile surface with a soft nylon bristle brush or swing floor machine with a soft nylon scrub pad to loosen the surface contaminants. Apply additional cleaner as needed to keep surface wet.
5. Remove cleaning liquid with mop, bucket and wringer or wet/dry vacuum.
6. Rinse area well with clean water. Vacuum or mop to remove rinse water.
7. Repeat steps 1-5 if needed for more heavily soiled areas. Increase dwell and scrub times as appropriate to help with more heavily soiled areas.
8. Once the surface is dry, reseal with Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice Gold, STONETECH® BULLETPROOF® or Miracle Sealants 511 Impregnator Sealer for Matte and Honed finishes. Use Slip Doctors Polish Grip or Stone Grip Sealers for re-sealing Polished tiles and panels.
Uline Microfiber Mop System H-4506, Mop Bucket H-4507 & Plastic Scrub Brushes H-3536 Standard or H-3537 Bi-level plastic bristle brushes.
CAUTION: Do not use 3M TrizactTM Diamond Polishing Pads recommended in the 3M Stone Protection System or other diamond polishing pads. These cleaning pads are too aggressive for TREND Origina® Tiles & Panels and may damage the terrazzo surface.
TREND Origina® Terrazzo Floor Tiles and Panels may be monitored for dynamic co efficient of friction (DCOF) using a Bot 3000 Acu Test machine. Trained operators are available to assist owners in evaluating how traffic, maintenance and sealers are performing over various time periods. Testing and evaluating floors is the single most effective way to provide consistent DCOF values for those travelling over tiled surfaces.
CAUTION: Protect TREND Origina® Terrazzo Floors
Never allow heavy objects to travel across non-grouted or newly installed TREND Origina® Floors. Allow all post grouted installations 48 hours, or duration of time recommended by manufacturer installation materials, prior to traffic. If adhesive or grout manufacturers recommend more than one cure time the longest duration of time shall prevail. After 48 hours cover floor with non-asphalt impregnated construction paper, or similar floor protection system, prior to traffic.
Allow 7 days after grouting and protect the new floor from rolling loads by placing 1⁄2” exterior grade plywood over the protective paper, or similar material, in the path of light equipment, such as, small scissor lifts and pallet jacks. Even with plywood no extremely heavy equipment, such as, heavily loaded forklifts shall ever travel across TREND Origina® flooring. The environment, quantity and type of traffic a floor endures will determine how often and to what depth of cleaning process is required to maintain an Origina™ Terrazzo floor. Steel wheels shall never be rolled over terrazzo flooring.